Betterment is hiring an Engineer for our iOS team. Our team's mission is to create the most streamlined and intuitive mobile investing experience possible to allow our customers to make the most of their money. We partner with User Experience and Product Management teams to build features using native mobile technologies that enable our customers to meet their financial goals.
About the right team member:
You are passionate about tackling complex product and technical problems. You believe that by leveraging technology you can empower others. You are excited to work in an environment where you get to work with cross-functional teams that span the entire company. You thrive under pressure — concurrent projects and tight deadlines sound fun to tackle! You love to learn and to share your expertise with others in an open, collaborative environment.
At Betterment you will get to:
- Build things people love. Our goal is to delight our customers whenever possible. Sleek design, efficient workflows, simple user experience, and access to sophisticated advice.
- Solve challenging problems and change an industry while you do it.
- Take your ideas to the next level right away and see the impact you can have. We experiment, iterate, learn, and repeat.
- Collaborate, with purpose. You’ll work in small groups with other talented thinkers and figure out how to make Betterment’s revolutionary software even better.
- Gain trust through transparency. We believe in taking the guesswork out of investing.
- That means a consistent experience for our customers — you’ll build the tools to make it possible. We already have the best UX in the business. Let’s make it even better.
- Work with people who care. We’re a group of talented professionals who pride ourselves on what we do. We’re smart, innovative, energetic, and fun.
You will be effective if you have:
- Experience building native iOS applications, 2+ years working with Swift
- Experience building product features, as well as frameworks that enable the efficient creation of robust customer experiences
- A passion for software engineering, and for creating what doesn’t exist
- Know how to make the tradeoffs required to ship without compromising quality
- An appreciation for agility and thoughtful pragmatism in software development
- Realize that automated tests are a worthwhile investment
- A strong command of fundamental algorithms and data structures
- The ability to thrive in a startup environment
Technologies you will use:
- We primarily program in Swift with occasional Objective-C
- We build our APIs with Ruby on Rails
- We always choose the right tool or framework for the job; some of our favorites are PromiseKit, Anchorage, BonMon and Lottie
- Reactive and functional patterns (we recently hosted the 2018 Functional Swift Conference)
- We strive to align our iOS and Android apps together, an interest in Java/Kotlin is a plus
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $15 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 380,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more.