Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. We connect users to the streaming content they love, enable content publishers to build and monetize large audiences, and provide advertisers with unique capabilities to engage consumers. Roku streaming players and Roku TV™ models are available around the world through direct retail sales and licensing arrangements with TV brands and pay TV operators.
The Cloud Tech engineering team is on a mission to create tools, components, and strategies that allows the company to scale by automating almost all aspects of our day to day lives. We are a team of senior engineers that work on evaluating tools, developing our own when necessary, and driving standards of operation through best practice’s and experiments for what works best.
The Cloud Tech team team is looking for a Director with a background in Operations and Tools development. The individual will be involved in program management across teams for rationalization, consolidation of tools, and will be in a key position for build vs buy decisions of new tools and stacks for the cross functional teams. We are expecting that the right person comes with solid hands on experience related to operational tools, as well as, practical application principles of zero-downtime deployment through fully automated CI/CD.
We are expecting that you are able to build teams, have a strategy for hiring, and have practical experience in distributed global organization’s that span multiple time-zones.
This role is hands-on.
What you will do and who you are:
- You like working on broad tasks that have high visibility in the company.
- You have a good understanding of different deployment architectures and are able to advice and decide on the best option to cover self-healing, auto-scaling, and self-documenting systems.
- You enjoy working across teams and influence the direction of the work and architecture.
- You are self-driven, willing and able to take complete ownership of initiatives and make pragmatic technical decisions.
- You are constantly looking for ways to improve and/or automate your team’s efforts.
- You are also a driver of initiatives to streamline development & deployment, standardize on tools, and improve documentation quality.
- You have a clear understanding of what it takes to scale a team over time.
We expect you to come with;
- Confidence in developing software in at least two of : NodeJs, GoLang, Java or Python.
- Proficiency in Bash
- Hands on experience with Docker and Docker deployment and frameworks (Docker deployment in AWS ECS is a preference).
- Experienced with Terraform and/or Cloud Formation.
- Experience with and passion for load testing, experimentation, and continuous integration.
- Hands on experience with a large range of AWS cloud services.
- Bachelor’s in computer science or equivalent work experience.
- You have managed and built a team before.
Characteristics of success at Roku
- Self-motivated individual who takes ownership
- Positive attitude
- Non political
- Results oriented
- Hands on and team oriented
- Desire to win in a highly competitive environment
- Ability to adjust plan and react as needed