Lead Technical Program Manager - Maps at Uber
San Francisco, CA, US
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let’s move the world forward, together.
About the Role
The Uber Technical Program Management (TPM) team plays a critical role executing high-impact company-wide initiatives and continuously improving process to increase the effectiveness of our product and engineering organizations. We work with the engineering organization while partnering with Product, Platform, Data Science, Operations, and others across Uber to drive programs and initiatives to be successful.
Maps are an integral part of the Uber ecosystem and play a critical role across many of our product experiences to create innovative solutions that will make the interactions between the driver, rider and the real world as reliable and seamless as possible. In addition to pickup and dropoff experiences some of the products coming out of the Maps team are turn-by-turn instructions for in-app navigation, time (ETA), distance and route line estimations, and machine-learned traffic predictions.
The lead Technical Program Manager for Maps will play a critical role in driving the technical roadmap to build the future of Maps and define the vision and strategy for TPMs across Maps. The TPM will take on management responsibilities for TPMs within Maps and collaborate extensively with product and platform teams across Uber.
What You’ll Do
TPMs move fluidly from the big picture to details so that the team can deliver complex and strategic cross-functional projects, often with tight deadlines. You are a bridge and a connector for the company. You are intuitive, focused, driven, organized, insightful and productive. You break through communication issues and effectively develop relationships with stakeholders at all levels of the organization. You build trust across the organization. You are not afraid to be direct, but you strive to act with empathy and integrity.
TPM work involves the following:
- Lead and manage a team of TPMs working across multiple product and engineering initiatives in the Maps organization
- Project manage complex and large scale cross-team, cross-functional initiatives. Interface with engineering managers and engineers to estimate work efforts, define milestones and manage resources. Track progress, resolve dependencies, evaluate risks and communicate status to upper management and project stakeholders. Engage and energize the project teams to achieve aggressive goals.
- Proactively remove obstacles to drive momentum and progress. Identify communication gaps, manage issue escalations and provide support to teams balancing competing priorities. Drive results proactively.
- Understand technical implementation at the architecture level and propose technical alternatives when necessary. Ask questions that clarify priorities and push the team to be highly effective. Develop broad domain and technical knowledge.
- Help manage the cross-functional strategic planning and business planning process, leading conversations with key stakeholders to develop concepts for strategic initiatives, and developing those into detailed program / project plans (including roadmaps, funding planning, resource planning and hiring goals).
- Continuously improve and scale the organization. Implement continuous improvements to the engineering organization and the program management process. Share program/project process frameworks, tools, and best practices that can be adopted throughout the organization. Improve product development and delivery. Mentor project management skills within our engineering leadership team.
Here are the skills and experiences we’re looking for:
- Minimum of 7 years experience as a Technical Program Manager or engineering manager in a software, SaaS, or systems development environment.
- Minimum of 3 years experience leading and managing teams of TPMs and PgMs.
- Solid technical aptitude and an ability to understand technical designs, challenges and risks. Engineers enjoy working closely with you.
- Experienced in project management. Familiar with both Agile and Waterfall methodologies and able to apply them where best suited.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and exceptional emotional intelligence. Ability to influence and motivate people across a broad variety of job functions through your relationships.
- Strong organizational skills to juggle many tasks without losing sight of the highest priority items.
- Ability to understand complex concepts and make reasoned decisions objectively.
Desired but not required:
- Computer Science degree, or related field.
- Worked at a high paced, fast growing, scrappy tech startup.
- Technical program management experience at an established company with a strong TPM team.
- Developer experience, including writing, testing and deploying code.
What You’ll Need
- 7 Minimum Years of Experience